Skip to main content

Love. T-shirt.

I created a t-shirt.

It all began when I saw some beautifully designed t-shirts for couples, in English, for sale. I wondered if there was a market for such t-shirts here, for couples in Sabah and Sarawak who would think such a t-shirt would be a great gift for his/her boy/girlfriend.

Then I thought, "Why not make a t-shirt that says "I love you" but in the languages of the original peoples here in Borneo. So in my love advice FB page, Cinta Bijak 101, I asked readers to tell me how they say "I love you' in their own individual native languages. I got a lot of answers and a list of phrases in so many languages!

Now what do I do? How do I put all these words on a t-shirt without making it look like a book? Then an idea hit me. Why not arrange all these phrases so they form a heart shaped collection of phrases. It was a challenge and after many tries, my art designer finally came up with a design I loved. I took it and printed my t-shirts.

From Sarawak, these were the phrases I received:

Aku sayau ke nuan (iban)
Nuan seruran ku sayau (iban)

Uak milok kou (punan)

ake kelo iko (kenyah)
Ake' mawak eko'(kenyah)
Ahe ubek iho (kenyah)
Akik uvak ikuk (kenyah)

Ake ubak eko (badeng)

Aheu ekem ekau (lahanan)

Wih mawa nemuh (lun bawang)
Ui' mawa nemuh (lun bawang )

Akui nyalam ika (kayan)

Oku nyayang muu (bidayuh bau jagoi)
Ikok sayang ka imuk ( bidayuh rara )
aku nyuka amu (bidayuh bukar sadong)
Oku nyuka muu (bidayuh singgai bau)
Kuk luv uuu (bahasa bidayuh sikog)

Akuk suka u (bidayuh padawan)



From Sabah, these were the phrases:

Muhang oku dika (dusun, kadazandusun)
Oupus oku diya (dusun, kadazandusun)

kiuvang oku dika (dusun labuk)
Engin oku dikau (dusun kimaragang)
Rumey oku dika (dusun tinagas)
Ongin Oku dika (dusun sandayo)

Guminavo zou diau (kadazan)
Gumivo zou diau (kadazan)

Engin oku dikau (rungus)
Asamod oku dikau (rungus)
Ozi oku dikau (rungus)
Ki ginavo oku si dikau (rungus)

Wang ku sokou (sungai)
Mengin aku so ikau (sungai)

Mengin ou diha (bonggi)
kuguai ou diha (bonggi)

Asiha auh riun (murut)

uwi pian nemu (lundayeh)

Mawa wh nemu (lundayeh)



Once the t-shirts were ready, I started selling them on my Cinta Bijak FB wall but strangely, not many lovers bought them. Wonder why?

So I asked myself, who else would love this t-shirt? Here are some possibilities:
  • People who are proud of their tribal heritage and language and/or of their state and would like to either wear the t-shirt as a form of displaying their uniqueness or to give to friends etc who would want to remember their roots.
  • Tourist. This would be a great gift to bring back home for loved ones. What better way to say "I love you" to loved ones back home when you return from a great time in Sarawak and/or Sabah then by giving them a t-shirt that says "I love you" in the languages of the people of Borneo.
  • Church and corporate bodies in Sabah and Sarawak. We always have visitors from outside the island of Borneo. This would be a special souvenir for them. It gives an important message and reflects the uniqueness of both states.
Would you want to own a t-shirt too? Or get some for friends and visitors? It's only RM25 one and comes in sizes S, M, L and XL. Just contact me via email (peterderun@gmail.com) or call/sms/whatsapp (019-8898049). Love you to have a t-shirt that says "I love you" in the languages of the people of Sabah and Sarawak (2 separate t-shirts representing each state is available, only in black).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 April 2017

SEEN KUCHING? A number of University students here who hail from beyond Kuching have never ventured out further than Kota Samarahan and Kuching South. Time to organise trips (free?) for these non-Kuchingnites so that they can see, know and enjoy the sights and sounds of beautiful Kuching and beyond. Anybody got ideas or game to play host and tour guide? PORK BURGERS Several years ago I used to make pork patties, thick and juicy, and stick them in small buns (the ones that come six in a pack). Everyone loved them. I kept commenting, "Since no one is doing this, I should open a stall and sell pork burgers!" I never did. Others did. Now pork burger stalls are every where. Moral of story - act on an idea quickly or it is just fanciful dreaming. THANK GOD FOR OXYTOCIN According to researchers at Duke University, oxytocin or the “love hormone,” not only bonds lovers, and mother to child, but can increase religious feelings as  well .   Oxytocin appears to be part of the w

Am I A Beggar, Begging?

I believe there are people out there who want to help and are able to help, so I share needs, both personal and church/ministry related. I also believe what James said in his letter, "You do not have because you do not ASK." So it was a surprise to me to be (recently) labelled a beggar and to have my sharing of needs and requesting for assistance and donations described as begging. My initial response was, "What? Me a beggar, begging? I began to wonder when did asking become begging and is there a difference between asking and begging. So I turned to Google and typed in 'difference between asking and begging', and lo, to my surprise, it was an often asked question! The articles, forums and comments listed were helpful and most importantly, eye opening, especially the dictionary definitions. It says that if I ask someone or ask for something earnestly and/or humbly, thats begging. Then I have been begging (oh no!). It also says that if I ask especially f

Understanding Church Trauma

Christian  communities are expected to be our safest emotional and physical spaces. Even so, there are times this sacred space become toxic, abusive, and traumatizing to a church member when leaders and members of a congregation exhibit actions that fail to reflect the love of God. In the infographic below, four common ways church trauma is caused is identified and explained. I hope the information will help you understand what has happened to you or someone you know in church (or now no longer in the Christian community). The purpose of this post is to promote healing among those traumatized and to highlight practices that need to stop so that a Christian community is restored once again as the safest  emotional and physical space for any child of God. As you continue educating yourself on church trauma and abuse, it’s important to remember that you are not alone. If you need to, seek a mental health professional to help you better understand your condition its impact on your relation