Skip to main content

Your Money, My Books

 “Give me money for my birthday so I can buy books for me to read throughout the year.”

That was my request for my birthday in January this year (2021). Less than ten responded but they gave generously. Now as I type this article, a day before 2021 ends, I am so thankful to report I was able to buy 17 books from Book Depository throughout the year with the money they gave! Though short of my goal – one book a week (so 52 books) – I was kept busy and stimulated with the books I was able to purchase.


Here’s a rundown of the books that have been one of my best birthday presents:

Dear Life by Rachel Clarke – a must-read book for all who will die especially at the beginning of the year, when you celebrate your birthday. It was a difficult book to read because I abhor death and the end of my sojourn on this lovely planet. Even so, die I will so I read this book by a doctor working in the palliative ward. The first time I saw this word was when I was undergoing chemotherapy for my cancer and there was a special section in this part of the hospital called the palliative ward. I later found out it was the place you go to die (under the best medical care available). Dr Clarke covers all aspects of dying in her narrative and the twist is when she has to experience the process and pain of having her own father die. Down to earth, truthful, heart wrenching but all real and necessary. Loved the book. Memento mori.

Design Your Dream Life by Denise Walsh and The Miracle Equation by Hal Elrod – these two books were bought because I embraced the teaching that you could create your own amazing successful life if you decided what you wanted and followed a template sure to give you your dreams. The only thing I finally realized from these books were it is good to have an idea what you want, determine where you are and where you want to be (the more challenging the better) and then work your butt off doing 101 things that worked for many (but may not work for me).Denise offered a well-covered 4 Phase plan – right mindset, work hard, deal with obstacles. Hal also covered belief, being clear what you want and then doing continuous extraordinary effort till you get it. I was disappointed because I was expecting a surefire method that guaranteed my dream life. What I got was old fashioned, repeated advice – know what you want and work hard to get it and don’t stop till you do.

Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway and Embracing Uncertainty by Susan Jeffers – I love these books (especially Embracing Uncertainty) because Susan’s teachings help keep me sane and give me hope during the many lockdowns and continuous fear of being murdered by Covid. Susan’s teachings challenged many of my long held beliefs that fed my fear, bringing new insights and perspective. Her exercises have a powerful positive effect on me and and refer often to her books. Feel The Fear was her earlier book and many of her ideas there are expanded in Embracing Uncertainty (a jewel among the books I bought). Whatever happens I’ll handle it, maybe is such a key mantra when dealing with uncertainty. Read the book to discover what I mean.

#What Is Post-Traumatic Growth? By Miriam Akhtar and Upside by Jim Rendon – beautiful books that so positively introduced me to the world of Post-Traumatic Growth. In my counselling opportunities, many claim to be having trauma and I really wanted to know what it was and how I could help those who have experienced trauma. I am so glad to discover that you don’t have to be destroyed by traumatic experiences but instead, with the proper guidance and exercises, the traumatic experience can be turned around to be a catalyst for growth in your life. The next time a client says I am suffering from trauma, I know there is hope for them.

Resilience by Jo Owen and The Language of Emotions by Karla McLaren – another pair of beautiful, practical and helpful books I got for my own on-going emotional and mental wellbeing as well as for information I could use as I teach on Emotional Management and coach clients on managing difficult emotions in their lives. Jo’s book is laden with so much helpful information and covers 10 habits for emotional and mental health that promotes a thriving life. So much to know and do from this book. Karla’s book was a surprise. One, it’s the thickest book I bought! Two, its content is a wonderland of information on our key emotions so beautifully presented with personal experiences, amazing insights and practical guidelines. Sometimes a bit woo-woo but put that aside and there’s so many gems on emotional awareness. A must read for all serious about emotional awareness and wellbeing.

The Power of Mindful Learning by Ellen Langer, Scrum by Jeff Sutherland and Clearer, Closer, Better by Emily Balcetis – these were hard books to digest, written by ‘clever people’ with research after research, case study after case study to support their points. No personal anecdotes and opinions here, just truth and facts backed by tons of scientific research. Love the mental workout these books gave me, the amazing and solid findings and the truths discovered and shared. Ellen’s book is a delight to read as she challenges so many beliefs about learning, tearing them down with solid research and evidence and replacing them with some amazing new truths. I wish I had read Jeff’s book many years ago as it would have saved me so much heartache and failure at work – his ideas on how to get things done is mind blowing. Lastly, Emily’s book – it’s actually a book that lays out key steps you need to do to get a goal accomplished. But she has broken the steps down and dug deep with so much info, I am left drowning in the abundance of data. What makes reading this book difficult is the lengthy case studies (stories) she shares to highlight her findings. Just so long and so detailed. I kept wishing she would just get to the point. To be honest, I have yet to finish reading these 3 books. I can only handle a few pages most before my mind is fried but oh, how I love the truths and wisdom I manage to find.

The Go-Giver by Bob Burg and John David Mann – such a heartwarming, easy to read, full of wise advice all wrapped in an easy to read narrative. A modern parable that will leave your heart warmed and mind challenged. Love to read their other books in this series.

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman – I finally bought a Gottman book! After years of doing relationship counselling, I finally bought the bestselling book by the best relationship expert and I was not disappointed. So much to know and learn, apply (in my own marriage) and to use in my counselling. An amazing resource and my go-to book when I need to help those dealing with some key destructive problems in their marriage. Gottman has many other books I will need to get and read.

Do The Work by Steven Pressfield – when I finished reading the book (it didn’t take me long as it was only about 100 pages long) I went: ‘What on earth did I just read?’ It made very little sense and left me wondering, maybe this one was just beyond my mental capacity to understand. The only dud in my list of books bought.

Coaching For Performance by Sir John Whitmore – the must read book for every coach, a classic where so much coaching training and concepts have been built on and so it made sense I get my own copy and read it to. Thanks Sir John for the GROW model and introducing coaching to the world. A textbook I am thankful to own, read and apply.

Birds Of Borneo by Quentin and Karen Phillips – after enjoying the many birds that we see daily in our farm and wondering what they were, I finally settled on this well researched, beautifully illustrated field guide that has helped my wife and I identify the many birds flying around the farm. Only downside is so far all the birds we identify are usually said to be ‘the commonest’ of its kind. Anyways, we are just glad we have so many common Borneo birds all around us daily.

So there you have it. All the books I bought, read and enjoyed. A big thank you and a warm hug to all who gifted money to me so I could have books all year long to buy, receive by mail, read and grow. Thank you.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 April 2017

SEEN KUCHING? A number of University students here who hail from beyond Kuching have never ventured out further than Kota Samarahan and Kuching South. Time to organise trips (free?) for these non-Kuchingnites so that they can see, know and enjoy the sights and sounds of beautiful Kuching and beyond. Anybody got ideas or game to play host and tour guide? PORK BURGERS Several years ago I used to make pork patties, thick and juicy, and stick them in small buns (the ones that come six in a pack). Everyone loved them. I kept commenting, "Since no one is doing this, I should open a stall and sell pork burgers!" I never did. Others did. Now pork burger stalls are every where. Moral of story - act on an idea quickly or it is just fanciful dreaming. THANK GOD FOR OXYTOCIN According to researchers at Duke University, oxytocin or the “love hormone,” not only bonds lovers, and mother to child, but can increase religious feelings as  well .   Oxytocin appears to be part of the w

Am I A Beggar, Begging?

I believe there are people out there who want to help and are able to help, so I share needs, both personal and church/ministry related. I also believe what James said in his letter, "You do not have because you do not ASK." So it was a surprise to me to be (recently) labelled a beggar and to have my sharing of needs and requesting for assistance and donations described as begging. My initial response was, "What? Me a beggar, begging? I began to wonder when did asking become begging and is there a difference between asking and begging. So I turned to Google and typed in 'difference between asking and begging', and lo, to my surprise, it was an often asked question! The articles, forums and comments listed were helpful and most importantly, eye opening, especially the dictionary definitions. It says that if I ask someone or ask for something earnestly and/or humbly, thats begging. Then I have been begging (oh no!). It also says that if I ask especially f

Understanding Church Trauma

Christian  communities are expected to be our safest emotional and physical spaces. Even so, there are times this sacred space become toxic, abusive, and traumatizing to a church member when leaders and members of a congregation exhibit actions that fail to reflect the love of God. In the infographic below, four common ways church trauma is caused is identified and explained. I hope the information will help you understand what has happened to you or someone you know in church (or now no longer in the Christian community). The purpose of this post is to promote healing among those traumatized and to highlight practices that need to stop so that a Christian community is restored once again as the safest  emotional and physical space for any child of God. As you continue educating yourself on church trauma and abuse, it’s important to remember that you are not alone. If you need to, seek a mental health professional to help you better understand your condition its impact on your relation